was founded on 11 October 1958 as a cultural organisation
whose principal objective was the promotion of cultural relations
between Italy and Britain. To this end it worked closely with
the British Council.
When the British Council closed its centre in Bologna in 1974,
the Associazione continued its work on both the educational
and cultural fronts. It hosted and sponsored conferences,
exhibitions, and concerts and, as “The British Institute”,
it offered English courses to over 1500 students annually,
provided information, library services and Cambridge Examinations.
On the return of the British Council in 1990, the Association
gave up its teaching operation and donated its books to the
British Council and Bologna University. It continued, however,
to play an important cultural role in the city, often in collaboration
with the British Council.
In 1997 the statutes of the Associazione were changed and
it became the . However the Associazione's purposes
and role remained unchanged. It continued to organise events
in collaboration with Bologna University and other public
and private organisations.
Now that the British Council has decided to leave us, the Associazione believes that it has a responsibility to ensure the availability of high quality English courses at prices that are affordable.
From September 2005, the will be offering at all levels, both for .